Student class boycott continues

Students at the University of Fort Hare have vowed not to return to classes until the vice-chancellor, Professor Sakhela Buhlungu, has addressed them.

This is despite a call by management for students to go back to class while the university addresses some of their grievances which they raised as early as last year.

The class boycott entered its third week on Monday.

East London campus SRC premier Sonwabiso Mamkeli said students had made it clear that they would not return to class until the vicechancellor addressed them.

“Between now and April 3, no academic programme will take place. It is a total shutdown.

“Students will continue with the class boycott,” he said.

Student demands include that the university address the issue of shuttles, book allowances, reimbursement of money overcharged in past years and other security matters.

The university management responded to the SRC but, when the SRC was about to give the feedback, students demanded that Buhlungu address them.

Leave a Reply