A lack of money has temporarily put paid to plans to upgrade sports facilities and cultural precincts in Nelson Mandela Bay.
About 13 projects – including the Pebco Three and Northern Areas memorials – have been placed on hold due to budget constraints.
The metro’s executive director of sport, recreation, arts and culture, Noxolo Nqwazi, revealed this at a portfolio committee meeting on Friday.
Infuriated councillors immediately lashed out at officials, who they said were not taking the affected communities seriously.
Nqwazi said the projects were likely to be suspended in the 2017-18 financial year as well, due to the lack of funds. The affected projects are:
- Mqolomba Precinct – Phase 1;
- Jabavu Stadium upgrade;
- Daleview – upgrade of seating facility and new grandstand;
- Mzontsundu – new change rooms;
- Gelvandale Stadium – new roof;
- NU2 Stadium – completion of suites;
- Uitenhage Indoor Sports Centre – assessment floor;
- Kwazakhele pool – entrance;
- Zwide memorial – Pebco Three;
- Northern Areas Memorial;
- Motherwell – Nobel Peace Prizewinners park;
- Gelvandale Hockey Turf upgrade;
- Red Location Museum; and
- Springs Resort – entrance canopy.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.