Poisoning bout second at centre in three years


Chicken and milk left unrefrigerated overnight on a makeshift counter in the temporary kitchen at Port Elizabeth’s Gelvan Park frail care centre are suspected to be the sources of food poisoning that claimed the life of one elderly person and left 58 others ill.

Shockingly, it also emerged yesterday that this was the second such incident at the centre in three years, after a resident died following complications from food poisoning while others were treated in hospital in 2014.

In the latest incident, emergency medical services staff had to work through the night after being alerted by a nurse to what turned out to be a mass outbreak of suspected food poisoning early on Monday, affecting residents and employees.

Deputy mayor Mongameli Bobani and a group of health inspectors visited the centre yesterday, with Bobani saying later he was worried by what they had found.

“We were told that the chicken was cooked on Saturday and that the lady who was cooking on Saturday didn’t put it in the freezer,” he said.

“She just used it on Sunday. The milk was also left out in the open.”

Bobani said the centre did not have a fridge, only a deep freezer.

In 2014, soup left in the kitchen overnight and then served to the residents claimed the life of one resident due to complications from food poisoning. Three others were treated in hospital.

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.


3 thoughts on “Poisoning bout second at centre in three years

  • May 2, 2017 at 6:58 pm

    This is really shocking to hear. Many people die from food poisoning but to serve stale food which already is infected is a pathetic thing.

  • March 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

    this is disgusting. how can such a center not have a fridge??? now someone has died due to carelessness and lack of good storage facilities. . this unacceptable the center must be held accountable. . what else is going on there at the center and now the government wants to close good centers and sent those patients to a place like this. unbelievable

  • March 15, 2017 at 7:33 am

    Are the cooks hired by these centres trained and qualified? You cannot play around with food safety ESPECIALLY when you are cooking and serving in bulk quantities! This is completely outrageous and utterly unacceptable!


Leave a Reply