Police plan to sue baby Siwaphiwe’s kidnappers

Baby Siwaphiwe Picture: Supplied
Baby Siwaphiwe
Picture: Supplied

Police plan to sue the suspects accused of staging a bogus kidnapping in Durban on Friday‚ The Star newspaper reported.

One-month-old baby Siwaphiwe was snatched during what was reported as a hijacking on Friday afternoon.

“This was a false case and cost us money and resources that could have been deployed in other places‚” said Major-General Bala Naidoo‚ KwaZulu-Natal deputy provincial commissioner for the detective service.

The search for baby Siwaphiwe sparked a massive police hunt last week and spawned the hashtag #BringBackDurbanBaby.

The police operation involved officers‚ vehicles and even aircraft. Members of the community also took part in the search.

Police had offered a reward of R250‚000 for information regarding the kidnapping.

The bill for the operation could easily total R500‚000‚ a source told The Star.

Three suspects are expected to appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Monday. The suspects include the baby’s mother and her boyfriend.

Leave a Reply