Ironman at Hobie Beach will be screened live

GREAT ANTICIPATION: Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Athol Trollip, left, with Ironman South Africa managing director Keith Bowler at the launch of Ironman 2017 at the Boardwalk Hotel Picture: JUDY DE VEGA
GREAT ANTICIPATION: Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Athol Trollip, left, with Ironman South Africa managing director Keith Bowler at the launch of Ironman 2017 at the Boardwalk Hotel
Picture: JUDY DE VEGA

A total of 2 000 athletes — including 700 internationals – will take part in this year’s Standard Bank Ironman African Championship, at Hobie Beach next month.

With the event having been voted the best-run at the 2016 Ironman Athletes’ Choice Awards, the Ironman African Championships organisers had to up their game to stay up front.

In its 13th year, the event which will take place on April 2 will be televised live for the first time in the history of the race.

SuperSport channel DSTV 199 will broadcast the event from start to finish.

Ironman South Africa managing director Keith Bowler said a live broadcast had been one of the organisers’ core visions since first bringing the event to Nelson Mandela Bay.

“We are excited to see it realised.

“According to the Ironman athletes’ surveys this is regarded as one of the best Ironman events in the world and what makes it special is the people of Nelson Mandela Bay,” Bowler said.

The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has pumped R6-million towards this year’s event.

In previous years, athletes have complained that the cycle route was bumpy.

Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Athol Trollip has assured competitors that fixing the cycle route road was a priority and that it would be completed in time for the event.

Leave a Reply