Lifesavers suspend services at Sardinia Bay

ENDANGERED BUILDING: The Sardinia Bay Surf Lifesaving Club clubhouse, with members and supporters in front taking part in a protest against its demolition Picture: IVOR MARKMAN
ENDANGERED BUILDING: The Sardinia Bay Surf Lifesaving Club clubhouse, with members and supporters in front taking part in a protest
against its demolition Picture: IVOR MARKMAN

Volunteer lifesavers have suspended their duties at Sardinia Bay in protest against a decision by Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Athol Trollip that their clubhouse be demolished early next year.

Club chairman Andrew Marriott said he could not give too many details at present as club members would first have a meeting with the lifesaver volunteers.

“We will be having a special general meeting very shortly to finalise the way forward,” he said.

“It is possible that we will suspend the club, meaning no duties for the entire season [November to April], but this still needs to be discussed.

“We had a meeting with the mayor and Fernando Cain from the Beach Office on Friday.”

It was the second meeting the club had with Trollip since he took office.

The club’s intention to suspend lifesaving duties for November was confirmed in a letter sent to Cain on Monday.

The award-winning club has provided lifesaving services for the past 40 years.

Earlier this year, the club received notice that their clubhouse was declared dangerous and would be demolished by February 1.

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.

 

banner-adnew

Leave a Reply