Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has no problem releasing the state capture report‚ but only once “all is clear”‚ her office said on Wednesday.
This came after lawyers for President Jacob Zuma withdrew his application to interdict the release of former public protector Thuli Madonsela’s findings. The full bench of the High Court in Pretoria had been set to hear arguments for and against the issuing of the report.
“The public protector has noted reports that the president has withdrawn his application for an interdict. We don’t have a problem releasing the report except we need to be sure that all is clear‚” said spokesperson Oupa Segalwe.
“As you would know‚ there is still the application by (Mineral Resources) Minister Mosebenzi Zwane to consider. We are closely following developments on that as well as the current proceedings in court.”
Zwane had launched an urgent application to stop the release of the report‚ but his advocate Rafik Bhana told the court on Tuesday that his client had set down the matter to be heard next week.
Bhana said the matter was not ripe for hearing together with Zuma’s application.
Segalwe also announced that chief executive of the Office of the Public Protector‚ Louisa Zondo‚ has resigned‚ citing ill health.
“It is true that advocate Zondo has resigned. She has cited personal reasons for the decision and expressly mentioned the need to manage her health‚” he explained.
“She will be serving notice throughout November. We wish her all of the best for the future.”
Mkhwebane recently told Parliament that there is low staff morale in the head office.