After almost a month of no lectures, NMMU students are set to return to their studies on Monday.
The announcement was made in a statement by the university on its website last night, marking the end of a three-week shutdown of the institution.
NMMU spokeswoman Zandile Mbabela said all relevant stakeholders – including students, parents and student organisations – had been informed about the return to studies.
Mbabela said the decision to resume operations had been made after talks between protesting students and management.
“After a press briefing last month by the acting vice chancellor [Sibongile Muthwa], there was concern that prolonging the shutdown beyond Monday would adversely affect whether students would be able to finish the academic year,” she said.
“Due to those ongoing negotiations, a resolution was reached that operations can resume tomorrow [today] for staff and that classes can resume on Monday.”
Mbabela said various faculties at the university had developed catch-up plans to assist students complete the academic year. Meanwhile, talks would continue. She said the plan to return to lectures was not the end of the issues and a multi-stakeholder approach would continue until they had all been resolved.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.