It is unlikely that the request for proposals for South Africa’s nuclear new build programme will be issued today, as previously indicated by Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson.
This was the view of Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe, who said that late yesterday the cabinet was still discussing the issue.
During a post-cabinet briefing yesterday, Radebe said there was still some consultation needed before the request was issued.
Joemat-Pettersson told parliament a few weeks ago the request for proposals on nuclear new build, which would give the first indication of what the government expected the scale and cost of the project to be, would be published today.
But on Tuesday, Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor said this would not be the case as government policies were not in order.