Polygraph testing will take place this week in Kuyga’s Ward 40 following a racially divisive notice which called for “non-whites” to use a separate toilet at the community hall.
DA chief whip Werner Senekal said yesterday there were allegations that certain ANC members were responsible for placing the racist signs at the ward office last week with the intention of causing tension and division within the community.
On Friday, ANC members shut down the Kuyga Community Hall where DA councillor Jason Grobbelaar’s office is situated.
This move followed a case of crimen injuria being opened by senior Bay ANC leaders at the Kabega Park police station on Thursday.
“There are four [DA] members – PR councillor Sebenzile Rafani, Grobbelaar and ward assistants Mzingizi Vandala and Antoinette Hermanus – that I have requested in writing to present themselves for a polygraph test this week,” Senekal said.
“In addition to this, I have received independent statements from the four and they are consistent with each other, which indicates honesty on their side.
“To test their version of events and their denial of involvement, I have asked these four individuals to take a polygraph test this week, all of whom have agreed unconditionally,” Senekal said.ANC regional spokesman Gift
Ngqondi said they would not take the polygraph test and that the allegations were utter nonsense.
“The ANC has lodged a case of crimen injuria because of how our people are treated. How can he [Senekal] expect people who have lodged a case to take a polygraph test,” Ngqondi said.
“He is shifting the focus. They must not come and talk rubbish, they must investigate the matter. “We are expecting the municipality to investigate the matter as they said they would during the council meeting. “The DA must take this matter seriously and stop making a joke out of it.”
PEC member Andile Lungisa accused Senekal of spreading misinformation.
“The matter is still with the police and he must not tamper with the evidence. He must leave the process with the police as a case has been opened,” he said.
Senekal said he would also be writing to the ANC about thematter and would wait for their response, which would determine the number of people who would take the polygraph test.
“Should ANC members decline my request to take polygraph tests, it will call into question the veracity of their allegation against the ward office staff and councillors,” he said.
“Those individuals who decide not to take polygraph tests will face further investigation until the suspect is identified and charged.”
Senekal said they had decided to keep the office closed as they were advised by the police to do so due to threats of violence they received.