Live mouse found in bread, mother calls for improved pest control

A Port Elizabeth mother got a little more than she had bargained for in her loaf of brown bread from Checkers – and it has left her feeling rather ratty.

Kara Frost, 36, of Sherwood, got the fright of her life after discovering a live mouse crawling inside a packet of bread she bought from Checkers in Metlife Plaza, Kabega Park, on Thursday evening.

Her daughter Jordan, 12, was the first one to find the rodent when she was about to make sandwiches for the family.

“I was on the phone with a friend when I heard a scream from the kitchen,” Frost said.

Kara Frost of Sherwood, the mouse and the loaf of bread Picture: Eugene Coetzee
Kara Frost of Sherwood, the mouse and the loaf of bread
Picture: Eugene Coetzee

She rushed to the kitchen and Jordan told her there was a tail in the bread.

At the same time, the mouse tried to escape from the packet. “We managed to close it before it could get out. I was in absolute shock.”

Frost said the mouse had burrowed into the bread, which is why she had not noticed it at the shop.

“What if we had eaten the first few slices before finding the mouse?”

Frost called on makers Sasko and Checkers to improve their pest control measures.

“What if this were to happen to someone else, such as a 75-year-old woman with heart problems? She could die. Quality control should be improved,” she said.
Frost bought the bread along with about R300 worth of groceries after work on Thursday.

Within minutes of discovering the mouse, Frost contacted the store but was put on hold for 15 minutes.

“Instead of accepting responsibility, Sasko was blamed. [A store manager] said I should bring the bread back to be reimbursed,” she said.

But Frost declined.

“I was supposed to load my three children into the car at 8pm and use petrol to get R10 back.”

On Friday, she was contacted by two other managers who offered an apology, flowers and to reimburse her full grocery bill.

“I do not want refunds or to be bribed. All I want is for them to change the way they do things and take the proper precautions. It is not about the money – it is about the principle,” she said.

Shoprite Checkers spokeswoman Sarita van Wyk said: “Checkers regrets the unpleasant experience Frost had with regard to the alleged mouse she found in a loaf of Sasko bread purchased at its Metlife Plaza branch.

“The matter, as well as the manner in which the sales manager initially handled Frost’s complaint, is being investigated.

“The branch manager has since taken over the matter and has been in contact with Frost, but she has refused all offers of redress.”

Van Wyk said as Sasko was involved, no conclusion as to the origin of the mouse had been reached.

“The matter is currently viewed as an isolated incident,” she said.

Sasko is a milling and baking division of Pioneer Foods.

Pioneer Foods spokeswoman Leanne Koopman said: “Since alerted to the issue, an audit has been done and we conclude that given the current measures in place at Pioneer Foods, it is most unlikely that the source of infestation occurred at our premises or in transit or dispatch to the retailers.”

6 thoughts on “Live mouse found in bread, mother calls for improved pest control

  • September 21, 2016 at 1:28 pm

    I was also recently at Checkers, Metlife and with all the work that was going on inside the shop it does not amaze me that they found a mouse! I did not even purchase any thing from the store as everything felt like it was covered in dust from the work in the store!

  • September 20, 2016 at 10:41 pm

    Should the plastic not be damaged if the mouse entered the bag in the store? Just wondering how Sasko can be so sure that they are not to be blamed..

  • September 19, 2016 at 2:12 pm

    Disgusting. Someone must take responsibility and redress the situation. Hope this will be sorted out as soon as possible.

  • September 19, 2016 at 11:37 am

    All supermarkets should have improved pest control. Since mice stools are said to be poisonous what if someone eats contaminated food and die from the poisoning. Stuff on shelves should hecked now and again. Mice are a real pain everywhere. So stores must be vigilant in the fight to combat this problem

    • September 30, 2016 at 2:02 pm

      People will do anything to get their names in the paper. I always buy my groceries at this store and have always been greeted by friendly helpful staff and Managers. Believe me…. your little ‘fake mouse story’ affected peoples livelihoods more that you can imagine. These are hard working people working their buts off to keep customers happy. Think before you speak….. next time you want your name in the paper… use it for something good.


Leave a Reply