Compromise could see metro paying out millions to workers
Striking Nelson Mandela Bay municipal refuse workers and their bosses have reached a compromise, with the city agreeing to pay a year’s once-off payout which could set PE back millions of rands.
This is to cushion the blow of taking away the extra R1 300 the more than 100 staff in waste management had been receiving illegally every month for the past three years.
While the strike is not yet over, as the unions and leaders at the municipality still have to thrash out the details of the agreement, the financial settlement is a major step forward toward getting the staff to return to work.
As the strike entered its fourth day yesterday, green and black rubbish bags could be seen piled up along the streets.
In some areas, the rubbish was scattered outside of bags, including in Govan Mbeki Avenue, where the workers toppled over concrete bins on Wednesday.
At a full council meeting yesterday, councillors were told the municipal leadership and union representatives still had to finalise some details of the agreement.
These include finding measures to put in place to ensure a hygienic environment in which the workers can eat their food during breaks.
They said they worked through their lunch hours and teatimes because their job conditions made it difficult for them to eat.