New bid to extend Oscar jail sentence

A fresh legal bid is to be launched by prosecutors for a tougher prison sentence for Oscar Pistorius, jailed for six years for killing his girlfriend, former Port Elizabeth model, Reeva Steenkamp.

The National Prosecution Authority said it would file papers today to seek permission to appeal against the term handed down by a high court in July.

“I have been advised by the prosecutors that they are filing their papers tomorrow, petitioning the Supreme Court of Appeal for leave to appeal,” NPA spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku said.

He did not give details yesterday of the grounds for the appeal.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel argued in court last month that the six-year sentence – less than half the minimum 15-year sentence for murder in South Africa – was “shockingly lenient”.

The prosecution is petitioning the Supreme Court of Appeal following last month’s rejection by the high court of their application for permission to appeal.

Paralympic star Pistorius, 29, shot Steenkamp, also 29 and a law graduate, in the early hours of Valentine’s Day in 2013, saying he mistook her for a burglar.

The double amputee was first convicted of culpable homicide in 2014, but an appeals court upgraded it to murder in December.

One thought on “New bid to extend Oscar jail sentence

  • September 16, 2016 at 12:24 pm

    He must rot in jail like any other murderers! Why does he have to be sentenced favourably because the deed is the same as the ones that got 25yr and life sentences for murder?? This Pistorius case is sickening to the core coz the focus is now on him while our children are abducted, raped, and murdered.


Leave a Reply