Reprieve for clubhouse after demolition delayed

SORRY STATE: The demolition of the lifesaving clubhouse has been delayed Picture: RIAAN MARAIS
SORRY STATE: The demolition of the lifesaving clubhouse has been delayed

Members of the Sardinia Bay Surf Lifesaving Club seem to have bought their clubhouse some time, after pointing out some mistakes in the proposed municipal demolition of the beach side building.

The demolition, which was set to have started on Monday this week, has been delayed and club members met municipal officials yesterday to discuss the way forward.

Following the meeting with mayoral committee member Siyasanga Sijadu, club president Grant Breetzke said all parties involved, including the club, municipality and Department of Environmental Affairs, needed to compile reports on what had happened to date and how they believed the situation should be handled going forward.

“We have already compiled a timeline on everything leading up to this point and how the proposed demolition was supposed to happen.

“Our report will include concerns we have raised in the environmental impact assessment that was done prior to the planned demolition – points we have already raised with the mayor’s office,” Breetzke said.

Some confusion around the lifesaving clubhouse and the adjacent Sardinia Bay Angling Club, which are separated by only a staircase, also needed to be cleared up.

Breetzke said they agreed the angling club building was dilapidated and could be torn down, but “to date we are yet to see the report condemning our building”.

“There are still too many questions around how this issue needs to be handled, and until everyone has compiled their reports and we can come to some sort of agreement around the clubhouse’s future, we feel the demolition should be put on hold,” he said.

Municipal spokesman Kupido Baron said more feedback on the meeting would be given at a later stage.

Earlier he had said a service provider had been appointed to tear down the building, at a cost of R700 000, and that demolition would commence yesterday.

This was, however, postponed due to the meeting.

Baron said that the structure needed to be torn down because of its rundown condition, its position under the high-water mark, and the municipality’s liability should anyone be injured at the unsafe structure.

“In addition we have no lease agreement in place for the facility and are procuring towers and containers for the lifesaving club’s use until there is a permanent alternative for the club.”

Leave a Reply