Second teen held for student’s murder

17-year-old hands himself over after gang’s shooting of victim, rape of friend

Another teenager has been arrested for the alleged hijacking and murder of an NMMU student and the rape of his companion earlier this month. 17-year-old was arrested in connection with the shocking crime on Friday.

This marks the second arrest in less than two weeks.

Both teenagers are believed to have been part of the five-man gang that hijacked and murdered Department of Health medic and NMMU student Thabani Ngwekazi, 28, on a Saturday night earlier this month.

It is alleged that during the ordeal, two of the men raped the woman, 21, who was abducted along with Ngwekazi.

Yesterday, police spokeswoman Colonel Priscilla Naidu said the 17-year-old had been arrested on Friday afternoon when the detective task and tracking team went to his home in Kwazakhele.

“He was not there when police went to his home looking for him. Later on Friday the teenager handed himself over to detectives at Mount Road police station,” she said.

The first arrest took place on Monday last week when an 18-year-old Port Elizabeth man was arrested after being found in possession of the victims’ belongings.

The 17-year-old appeared in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on Monday and was remanded with the first suspect.

An identity parade will be held with the survivor, after which the 18-year-old will be named.

The 17-year-old will not be named as he is a minor. The other three suspects are on the run.

The arrest comes only days after provincial commander and veteran detective Brigadier Gary McLaren arrived in Port Elizabeth to advise and assist with the case.

Ngwekazi was shot in the back of the head after a group of about five men had drawn R200 from his bank account. Ngwekazi, who was studying at NMMU on a bursary scheme, was a medic with the Department of Health in Mthatha.

“Only after all the arrests are made and forensic reports are received will we be able to ascertain if this group is linked to other crimes,” Naidu said.

Ngwekazi’s gold VW Polo was found abandoned near a park in Maguga Street, Kwazakhele, near the Wolfson Stadium, at about 10.30pm two days after the crime had been committed.

Maguga Street borders Stofile Street, where two police officers in a marked police van were hijacked and robbed about three weeks ago.

Both teenagers are due to appear in the same court for a formal bail application tomorrow.

Leave a Reply