Memorial service for Victoria Park High worker

 Willie Vazi
Willie Vazi

A ZWIDE family is struggling to come to terms with the death of husband and father Willie Vazi, who succumbed to injuries sustained from three stab wounds during a robbery three weeks ago.

Vazi, 59, was stabbed in the chest, shoulder and face while on his way to Victoria Park High School – where he worked as a general assistant for 25 years – on Good Friday, April 3.

A memorial service for Vazi, which is open to all, will be held at the school hall at 8am on Wednesday. His funeral is on Saturday. Yesterday, a sombre mood filled the Vazi household as people came to mourn with the family.

Vazi, described as a gentle man, succumbed to his injuries two weeks after he was attacked in First Avenue, Walmer. His devastated wife, Nomthunzi Ntshobodi, 52, spoke of her sorrow at his passing.

“He left on the morning of Good Friday because there was something happening at the school’s sports fields. It was after 7am when I got a call telling me my husband was at St George’s Hospital.

“I immediately rushed to the hospital and when I got there he was being transferred to Livingstone.

“He told me he was attacked by three men . . . He had taken out his phone to check the time when three men demanded the phone and money,” Ntshobodi said. “He then told me that the one in front of him stabbed him on the left side of his chest, shoulder and in the face.

“One hit him with an iron rod and he fell down. He managed to crawl to the school where he was seen by colleagues.”

Ntshobodi said her husband spent the weekend in hospital and was discharged on the Sunday. “He was never the same after that as he had health complications. He could not stomach anything as he would vomit up his food. He took his last breath on Friday, [April] 17,” she said.

“He was everything to us and we are saddened by his sudden death. We feel that his life has been

“Funny enough they did not even take the things they demanded. They only took his bag, which had his ID and bank cards.

“We did not even get the time to open a case because everything happened so fast.” Victoria Park principal Mike Vermaak described Vazi as a gentleman.

“He was one of nature’s nicest gentleman. He had a gentle soul and was an incredible person. We are shattered that these types of things are happening,” he said.

People who learnt of Vazi’s death through the school’s Facebook page took to the social network to voice their anger and pass condolences to his family.

Saturday’s funeral proceedings will begin at his house in Tonjeni Street at 7am.

BITTER BLOW: Nomthunzi Ntshobodi and her two sons, Ayanda, left,  and Luvuyo  mourn the death of Willie Vezi Picture: FREDLIN ADRIAAN -
BITTER BLOW: Nomthunzi Ntshobodi and her two sons, Ayanda, left, and Luvuyo mourn the death of Willie Vazi Picture: FREDLIN ADRIAAN –

-Yoliswa Sobuwa

Leave a Reply