IN a surprise twist for many, Cape Town pop trio Beatenberg walked away with the most nods at the SA Music Awards (Sama).
Those betting on hiphop star Cassper Nyovest would have regretted their investment as it was Beatenberg who swept away album of the year last night.
The group were also named duo of the year and won the best pop album category, beating fellow Capetonian Jimmy Nevis and pop group Monark.
The hotly contested rap album of the year award went to KO for Skhanda Republic.
AKA got the nod for male artist of the year.
Bucie won female artist of the year. Riana Nel was awarded best Afrikaans album. Other winners of the night at Sun City included:
- Best newcomer of the year: Cassper Nyovest;
- Best rock album: aKing;
- Best dance album: Black Motion;
- Best collaboration: KO featuring Kid X for Caracara;
- Producer of the year: Wouter Kellerman and Ricky Kej;
- Highest air play of the year: DJ Clock featuring Beatenberg.