Cape Town double story building on fire

A double storey building in Claremont was on fire on Thursday, Cape Town fire chief Ian Schnetler said.

“I can confirm that there is a fire in a double storey building but we are waiting for further report backs,” he said.

“At this point we have no reports of injuries. Fire-fighters are on the scene.”

Schnetler could not confirm an eNCA report that it was the Great Westerford building and that the Westerford High School was evacuated as a precautionary measure.

“I am not sure yet,” he said.

If there was a school in close proximity of the building on fire, it would be evacuated, he said.

eNCA reported that the fire started on the roof of the building at around 8.45am.

City of Cape Town mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith said the fire was not related to the Muizenberg fire that broke out over the weekend.

“This is a separate incident, the fires are not related,” he said.

Smith could not provide more details.

The Muizenberg fire which led to hundreds of people being evacuated was under control on Thursday, Cape Town Disaster Risk Management said.

Spokeswoman Charlotte Powell said they were dealing with two hotspots in Clovelly and Constantia north.

By Wednesday, a total of 500 people had been evacuated since the fire began.

The fire started on Sunday and was contained, but flared up again just after 2am on Monday in Muizenberg above Boyes Drive. It was fanned by strong winds.

It spread to Ou Kaapse Weg, Chapman’s Peak, Hout Bay, and Tokai.

One city fire-fighter sustained burn wounds and 52 frail-care residents from a Noordhoek retirement village were treated for smoke inhalation.

More than 2000 people were helping to quell the fire on Wednesday, the environmental affairs department said at the time.


Leave a Reply