Varsity to lose R17m after fewer students enrolled

Embattled Walter Sisulu University (WSU) had failed to meet its first-year intake target and will have R17-million docked from its state subsidy.

The money was cut from the university budget by Minister Blade Nzimande’s Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) last year.

However, it remained unclear yesterday whether the university would lose the money this financial year or next.

DHET universities acting deputy director-general Dr Diane Parker said the department was bound by treasury regulations not to discuss the budgets of universities until after the Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene had delivered his budget on February 25.

Details of the amounts were revealed in a memo compiled by WSU interim vice-chancellor Khaya Mfenyana in setting out the details of a deal reached between management and students last week.

The deal followed pressure from students to increase by 5% the first-year intake at the East London campus this year.

Yesterday, a WSU spokesman said the university would respond to queries today.

Msindisi Fengu

Leave a Reply