Bhisho boss ‘tried to bribe rape victim’

A top Eastern Cape civil servant accused of raping a relative allegedly tried to bribe her into dropping the case.

The East London Magistrate’s Court heard yesterday that the civil servant’s legal team had approached the court on Monday with the woman saying she wanted to withdraw the complaint against the provincial administrator, a move that did not materialise.

This was revealed yesterday by investigating officer Ntombozuko Ngxazisa, who also disclosed that a contract was allegedly drafted on Monday and given to the woman, promising that she and her brother, 22, would be taken care of for the rest of their lives if she withdrew the charges.

Ngxazisa was testifying at the man’s bail application, which continues today.

The man, who cannot be identified until he has pleaded, has denied raping the woman.

Ngxazisa also told the court the woman was receiving pressure from some family members to drop the charges.

The investigating officer related events that led to the woman’s “worst nightmare”, events that allegedly started in their rural homestead on the eve of her grandmother’s funeral in 2005.

Ngxazisa told the court that the first rape allegedly took place in 2005 after the man gave her what she thought was alcohol, but turned out to be a spiked drink which made her pass out. She was 15 at the time.

The young woman claims to have been raped numerous times since 2005.

She said last Thursday’s incident took place in a city flat belonging to the man, which was occupied by the woman and her younger brother.

It was alleged he used a wooden stick to threaten her before he dragged her by her hair, threw her onto a bed and raped her.

The investigating officer said some family members had visited the official while he was in custody at the weekend, together with the young woman.

“He was crying and he admitted to family members that he had indeed committed the offence, that he was sorry and that he will make sure that it never happens again if charges could be dropped.”

According to Ngxazisa, the woman did not report some of the previous incidents because the man was supporting them financially.

“However, her nightmare never stopped and last Thursday she felt that enough was enough and decided to report the matter to police.”

-Asanda Nini

Leave a Reply