Crime Briefs

ollycrocksOllycrocks: four arrested 

Four men were arrested at Seaview, Port Elizabeth, yesterday after they were found in possession of more than 400 ollycrocks.

Ollycrocks, pictured, are an edible species of sea snail also known as giant periwinkles. They are not illegal to collect, but are subject to quotas.

Lloyd Edwards, owner of Raggy Charters and who is involved in the Baywatch and Algoa Bay Hope Spot projects, said Seaview residents had reported people illegally collecting ollycrocks in Seaview at about 11.30am yesterday.

He alerted the police, but before they arrived the men started to leave, so he made a citizen’s arrest.

He escorted the suspects to the Seaview police station where a docket was opened. The four adults and two minors had a total of 435 ollycrocks, he said.

A police officer at the Kabega Park police station confirmed the arrest of the four men last night and said they would be appearing in court today.


Man held after hijack

A Gauteng man was arrested yesterday morning while trying to flee Nelson Mandela Bay in a car that had been hijacked in Uitenhage just hours before.

The arrest came after a Volkswagen SA worker’s car was hijacked outside his Moutie Lillah Street, Uitenhage, house at 5am yesterday.

The man, who did not want to be named for fear of being victimised, was reversing his Golf 7 out of his driveway when two men approached. One of the men, holding a gun, told him to get out the car.

At 11.30am, police spotted the car on the R75 near Kirkwood. “The car was pulled over and investigations revealed it was fitted with false registration plates and a fake licence disc,” police spokesman Warrant Officer Basil Seekoei said.

The man is due to appear in the Uitenhage Magistrate’s Court tomorrow.

– Gareth Wilson


Death: boys’ trial delayed 

A court case involving three Port Elizabeth teenagers who were arrested after they allegedly beat a man to death in October was yesterday again postponed in the juvenile court, Nerina House.

It is alleged the boys, aged 16 and 17, beat a 42-year-old man to death at his Providentia home during a heated argument early on October 5. The boys are minors and cannot be identified. Lawyer Alwyn Griebenow, who is representing one of the boys, said the case was postponed to March 31 for further investigation.

They were also waiting for an instruction from the National Director of Public Prosecutions on whether the boys would be formally charged.

They were released shortly after their arrest and are in the custody of their families.

– Lee-Anne Butler


Second chance for vandals?

Six primary schoolboys who were allegedly part of a group that extensively damaged a Sunshine Coast high school may be given a second chance by participating in a juvenile diversion programme aimed at turning their lives around.

Yesterday morning at the Alexandria Magistrate’s Court, prosecutor Johan Carstens said the 11- and 12-year-olds would be placed on the diversion programme by magistrate Louis Muller. However, at an afternoon in-camera session it later emerged the matter would continue today instead.

A total of 22 children were implicated in the trashing of several classrooms at Alexandria High School over two days earlier this month, but only six were arrested for housebreaking and theft as the others were under 10.

– David Macgregor

Leave a Reply