While Port Elizabeth “bad boy” Brent Cunningham made a return to the courtroom yesterday following his arrest for yet another alleged assault on a partner, his girlfriend has spoken out about her pain and disappointment.
Sharon Roberts, 28, said she had believed that Cunningham, her boyfriend of 18 months, had changed for the better.
She alleges she was assaulted by Cunningham, 23, on Friday night on what was meant to be a relaxing date together.
“We have been together for the past 18 months and I really believed he had changed,” Roberts said.
“He told me that he did not want to be that person anymore but now it is clear that a leopard cannot change its spots.
“I supported him throughout the last incident and really stood by his side,” she said.
Just two months ago, after almost two years in and out of court – four months of which were spent in custody – Cunningham was acquitted of assaulting his former girlfriend, Shireen Ballan.
He was also previously acquitted of murdering 19-year-old Juan Matthews.
Roberts said she had been to the doctor yesterday and still had a severely bruised eye, tissue damage and a bruised knee following the assault.
– Lee-Anne Butler
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.