Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was dealt a blow yesterday when her attempt to block a family meeting in Qunu on Friday failed in the Mthatha High Court.
The case was struck off the roll and she was ordered to pay the costs of the application.
Madikizela-Mandela wanted the court to interdict late president Nelson Mandela’s eldest grandson, Mandla Mandela, Daludumo Mtirara and others from holding a meeting at Madiba’s Qunu home.
The meeting is to address the issue of the rightful head of the family – the person entitled to officiate over family rituals.
Madikizela-Mandela argued that the gathering could result in violence and vandalism on the property, which is at the centre of a separate court battle.
She also sought, among others, to interdict Mandla and Mtirara from publicly discussing the Qunu property ownership dispute.
Acting judge Zamani Ntlangulela asked Madikizela-Mandela’s legal representative, Mvuzo Notyesi, why the executors of Madiba’s estate had been excluded from the application.
Representatives of the executors said in an affidavit that they would want to be party to the proceedings if it were to delve into the issue of ownership.
However, they did not have any interest in the matters relating to the meeting. Notyesi said the judge’s ruling on the matter would not include the issue of ownership of the property.
– Abongile Mgaqelwa
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.