THE renovations at the Port Elizabeth Opera House are on track and continuing without any disturbances.
Last month, unhappy SMME owners threatened to stop a multimillion-rand facelift at the Opera House because they said they were entitled to 30% of any construction taking place in the metro.
“Things are back on track and construction will start around November.
“At the moment we are busy negotiating with the SMMEs, but I can’t divulge more at the moment until everyone is happy,” Opera House general manager Monde Ngonyama said.
The renovations started on April 22 with the excavation of rocks outside the building in preparation for the Port Elizabeth theatre’s new extended foyer.
The Barn will also be enlarged, two lifts will be installed and there are plans for a theatre school and restaurant. The renovations are set to cost R29-million.
On May 13, construction workers had to stop working at the site as they were threatened by unhappy SMME owners. – Yoliswa Sobuwa