THREE people are dead and one is in a critical condition in a Port Elizabeth hospital after drinking a highly toxic illegal brew. The victims are believed to have started their Youth Day drinking binge with the concoction called mtshove – which is known to contain battery acid and brake fluid – before going to a tavern where alcohol was being served free as part of the holiday celebrations.
The tragedy has sparked warnings from police about the illegal concoction.
The victims, two brothers and two friends, collapsed outside the 2010 Tavern in Kwazakhele on Monday.
One was taken to hospital, while the other three – Mphuthumi Makhasi, 42, Thembinkosi Mhlahlo, 38, and Xolani Ntshu- du, 33 – were taken home where they died later.
They had allegedly been drinking mtshove – which is sold for R1.50 a litre – before continuing drinking at 2010 Tavern where alcohol was being served free. – Yoliswa Sobuwa
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition