House destroyed after gas blast

BIG BLAZE: Children flock to watch the McManus Crescent, Gelvandale, house burn down. Picture: JUDY DE VEGA
BIG BLAZE: Children flock to watch the McManus Crescent, Gelvandale, house burn down. Picture: JUDY DE VEGA

PORT Elizabeth firefighters fought in vain to save a Gelvandale house from burning to the ground after a gas cylinder in the kitchen exploded and caused an inferno that left the Lewis residence in ashes.

It is believed that Winston Lewis, 35, and his friends were “chilling” at about noon on Friday when they heard a loud bang from the kitchen before a fierce fire broke out.

Lewis said they tried to put it out with water, but the flames quickly spread to the rest of the McManus Crescent house, licking on the asbestos roof and causing all the electrical wires to explode. – Alvené du Plessis

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

Leave a Reply