Painful ending to glow-in-the dark party

 

FLASH BURNS: Kayla Auld, 13, had to wear sunglasses to protect her eyes. Picture: BRIAN WITBOOI
FLASH BURNS: Kayla Auld, 13, had to wear sunglasses to protect her eyes. Picture: BRIAN WITBOOI

A NEW party fad nearly caused serious injuries to a group of Port Elizabeth teenagers, when the wrong lighting equipment turned a glow-in-the-dark party into a massive tanning bed.

Dozens of children received treatment for corneal flash burns after attending a 13-year-old girl’s “lumo” themed birthday party in Charlo at the weekend. About 40 children were at the party, where they were given luminescent paint that glows under a UV-light.

However, the company which supplied the lights – Elektrex – provided lights that were too strong.

As a result, some of the children suffered light “sunburn”. Their eyes were also affected – similar to the way in which arc welding or using a tanning bed without the proper eye protection affects the eyes. – Riaan Marais

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.