Woman witness in gang trial assassinated

MURDER SCENE: Police inspect the scene after Winifred Minaar, 47, was shot dead at her home yesterday morning. Picture: EUGENE COETZEE

A MOTHER, due to testify in a gang-related case next month, became the latest victim of gang shootings in Port Elizabeth yesterday.

Winifred Minaar, 47, was shot dead inside her Carob Street, Booysen Park, home at about 10am.

She and her two sons – 19- and 20-year-olds whose names are being withheld for their safety – had been due to testify in a murder case involving alleged gangster Anwar Witbooi, who is accused of killing a rival gang member near Chetty Senior Secondary School last year. One of the sons was also shot and wounded.

They were all due to testify at the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on April 7. – Gareth Wilson

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

7 thoughts on “Woman witness in gang trial assassinated

• March 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm

And then they wonder why people just keep quiet

• March 19, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Being a winess is so scary beacause the police are telling the gangsters who is testifying against them and even tell where they live. So sad we as a community just have to see and not tell otherwise you are dead the next day now happening for years the corruption in the police has to stop how can we work towards a better and saver community if we are betrayed by the
    police.

• March 18, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Really sad.R.i.p aunty.Thats why people refuse to assist police

• March 18, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Prisons are overcrowding and gansters are making prison an even greater danderous place especially for the officials working there. I say bring death penalty in and get rid of these criminals destroying our land because clearly they don’t deserve to live in it.

• March 18, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Gangsterism has become rife in the coloured areas. some of it out of greed and some of it out of desperation. The Government should take this seriously. Witness protection for witnesses should be non-negotiable.
    Secondly there is not enough employment in PE and people are being made more desperate by not getting jobs due to bad credit records.

Some of members of the community that is trapped by this claim contributing factors in the Northern Areas in PE are;

1. I cant get a job because I have bad credit record, so how do you expect me to pay for my debts to have my name cleared or survive on handouts, lose my house over the next 3 years till I get cleared.

2. If I have served my time in jail, why should it still count against me if I need to work to become a member of society. you refuse then when I do wrong, not that its an excuse, how can you feed me? ”

3. I apply with thousand other in the Metro to get told I am not black enough so I become part of the lost generation, being desperate, poor and hopeless. how can you reach me?

The song from Coolio called Ganster’s Paradise says it clearly and I feel sad losing so many brothers and sisters. if we don’t do something where will it end?

• March 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

In dangerous cases surely people who give testimony should go into protective custody. We are so behind the times in this country !

• March 18, 2014 at 11:27 am

why was this witness’s safety taken into consideration? did the police really think that she would be alive to testify against the gangsters. this is one of their methods of intimidation so that people are to scared to testify against them. they will remain in power as long as they are allowed to get away with “murder” (no pun intended. as citizens we are being held to ransom by these gangs.Dallas