Bay jobs loss shock

MORE than 50 young workers were left shattered last week when a call centre, subsidised by Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality to the tune of R1-million, shut its doors without paying them.

Bizworks, a business process outsourcing company, commonly known as a call centre, has also reneged on a three-year contract signed with the municipality entitling it to rental subsidies valued at R1-million.

While the municipality has expressed shock at the sudden closure last Monday of Bizworks, situated at the Coega Village, young employees fear they will also lose out on Unemployment Insurance Fund benefits. Siyamtanda Nqwelo and scores of other young Bizworks employees said not only had they not been told the company was to close, they had also not been paid their February salaries.

“There are a number of other problems with this whole thing. While UIF money was deducted from our salaries, we have now discovered that the company did not register us with the Department of Labour, so we cannot even claim for that. – Shaun Gillham

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

One thought on “Bay jobs loss shock

  • March 17, 2014 at 11:41 am
    Permalink

    Its a real shame that these young people had to lose their jobs, these unscrupulous companies need to be weeded out and embarrassed in public for causing such grief to the youths of our beautiful country. The Bay especially Anele Qaba has done a fantastic job in trying to help these unfortunate youths in trying to get these youths to find jobs.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.