More than 3000 correctional officials charged: Ndebele

More than 3000 correctional officials had been charged with misconduct and corruption in 2012/13 financial year, the correctional service department said on Monday (24/02/2014).

A total of 251 officials were dismissed and demoted while 2,850 officials were subjected to misconduct and disciplinary proceedings, said Minister Sibusiso Ndebele in a statement.

He vowed to root out corruption in his department.

“As the department we will fight fraud and corruption with vigour.

We will root out criminal behaviour amongst those who taint our standing, and reputation in society.”

Between April and December of 2013, 28 officials were dismissed, demoted or suspended for offences related to only fraud and corruption.

“In August, Francis Moikutlwi Kwela, 39, who was employed at the department was jailed for five years after he was dismissed for fraud amounting to R1,823,393,10.”

Ndebele said another official involved was to stand trial in the same case and the matter had been handed over to the Asset Forfeiture Unit for recovery.

“The department is also closing in on the officials involved following the re-arrest of offenders Frikkie du Preez and Christoff Becker on February 16,” he said.

The two were re-arrested after a video, reportedly taken on a cellphone, was posted on YouTube.

It shows Du Preez and Becker allegedly drinking alcohol, and using a cellphone in a jail cell in Pretoria’s Kgosi Mampuru prison.

They had been serving time with two others for the murder of an unidentified man in Waterkloof, and had just been released on parole when the video surfaced.

He said the department would ensure that any official, offender or member of the public found guilty of any offence face the consequences of their actions. – Sapa

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.