Molester walks out of court a free man

Kathryn Kimberley

keith Ebel and Rowena Ebel
keith Ebel and Rowena Ebel

A YOUNG Port Elizabeth woman who was repeatedly sexually molested by her stepfather 13 years ago finally got justice yesterday when he was convicted of five offences. But her molester – businessman Keith Ebel, 54, of Lorraine – walked out of court a free man after being handed a wholly suspended sentence.

His victim – Rowena Ebel, who was nine when the offences were committed – consented to the sentence.  Rowena, now 22, gave permission for her name to be published.

She said she wanted her story to inspire other victims to report perpetrators to the police. “He took away my childhood and I will never get my innocence back, but I want to move forward.

“I believe my story will help others,” she said.

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

10 thoughts on “Molester walks out of court a free man

• February 21, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I was molested by my stepfather and have many a time considered taking action, but as inspiring as Rowena’s story is, what is the outcome? He walks free, able to repeat his actions.
    People are aware of what he has done, but I believe that people like him don’t care about being judged…they will find a way to skip town, start anew and do it all over again. How do you legally get justice through a system that decides it’s okay to allow a molester to freely roam our town?

• February 21, 2014 at 11:55 am

Wow! Good job Rowena. Courageous and inspiring. I trust that your story will urge others to speak out about any such injustices. May the rest of your life be a beautiful journey.

• February 21, 2014 at 8:47 am

Good on you Rowena, for going through with it; that was really a brave thing to do. I too was molested by my own grandfather from the age of 5 and when I finally spoke to someone about it, the church ministers urged me not to say anything, and when I finally had the guts to speak up, he had passed away and there was no justice for me.

I hope you will find peace and happiness, despite all of this. May you have a rich life filled with the love of awesome people.

To the good people of P.E. area, lets show Keith Ebel that we do not do business with and/or support molesters & rapists.

• February 20, 2014 at 11:04 am

He is convicted on 5 counts for such an appalling and disgusting deed but walks free – where is the justice – did this business man pay bribe money or how else do you explain this – thanks to to the Herald we know exactly what this sicko looks like. May his day come soon.

• February 19, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Rowena , I am so proud of you for coming forward! I did the same a few years ago and justice did not prevail! Look at the positive – you have helped someone to open up and come forward ! His uppence will come- it is so sad and sick that our justice system never supports us in these times! Hopefully in our future, one day it will! So often I have thought will I ever forget – the answer is no but you will in time heal! You will protect your children, friends children and be on the lookout forever- and in that way u will be saving someone from the trauma u endured for so long! Well done
    Gina

• February 19, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Ek is net baie dankbaar vir dardie meisiekind wat ons almal wys wie en wat hy is. My hart gaan uit na haar toe want dit moet hard vir haar gewees het.

• February 19, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Nee regtig hy is n VARK!!! Nee dankie hy is ni my fam ni. Hy is siek regtig.

• February 19, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Makes no sense to me. He has taken her childhood so why not take his freedom. Hope the suspended sentence is for life. In fact I sincerely hope I never see him on the street. Disgusting paedophile. Personally if I was her I would have changed my surname to not be associated with him.

• February 19, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I wonder how his girlfriend can sleep with him knowing what he did to this poor girl, some people are just evil!

• February 19, 2014 at 12:55 pm

mr. Ebel you are one very lucky man. i do not think you diserve this sentence at all.
    i am seriuosly dissapointed in the justice system for this type of sentence.
    Rowena Ebel you are a brave lady and a forgiving one. Dallas3