Media to ask court to allow broadcast of Pistorius trial

Media houses will ask the High Court in Pretoria on Wednesday for permission to broadcast Oscar Pistorius’s murder trial.

The application was being brought by news channel eNCA.

The channel would be joined in the application by MultiChoice and Eyewitness News.

A 24-hour TV channel dedicated to the upcoming trial will reportedly be launched on DSTV a day before the star athlete goes on trial.

Multichoice and EWN said it was proposing permission to use unmanned, remote controlled high definition cameras which would feed to all broadcasters, if the application was successful.

The National Prosecuting Authority on Tuesday said it would not oppose the application.

However, NPA spokesman Nathi Mncube said it did have a number of conditions.

He would not say what they were.

Pistorius is accused of killing his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in February last year.

His trial is expected to be heard in the High Court in Pretoria from March 3 to 20.

It was not immediately clear if Pistorius’s legal team would oppose the application. – Sapa

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.