Sanef supports EC journalists in barring ANC newsroom campaigning

Khulekani Magubane

THE South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) has thrown its weight behind editors in the Eastern Cape who refused to allow the African National Congress (ANC) to campaign in their newsrooms‚ ahead of the national elections.

Last week sister publication Daily Dispatch reported that its editor Bongani Siqoko and other newsroom leaders shot down a request by the ANC in the Eastern Cape to allow the party to campaign in its newsroom to reporters.

The ANC said it wanted to bring its election message to the newsroom as all South Africans‚ including journalists‚ had the right to vote.

However‚ editors mostly declined the request‚ saying the range of 139 parties could not all be accommodated in busy newsroom schedules.

Sanef chairman and Sowetan editor Mpumelelo Mkhabela said the forum believed it would be wrong for any political party to canvas for votes in a newsroom.

“Sanef supports the editors who declined requests by the ANC in the Eastern Cape to lobby for electoral support in their respective newsrooms.

We believe the approach to editors was misguided and unnecessary‚” Mr Mkhabela said. © BDlive 2013

 

 

2 thoughts on “Sanef supports EC journalists in barring ANC newsroom campaigning

  • February 17, 2014 at 11:48 am
    Permalink

    the ANC is running scared and are grasping at straws. they have no place in the newsroom. if they do not know what the campaigne of the ANC is by now then they will never know. this is as good as saying that all work places should be invaded as we all have a right to vote. Dallas

    Reply
  • February 17, 2014 at 11:45 am
    Permalink

    ANC is running scared ansd grasping at straws. Dallas

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.