THE African National Congress (ANC) on Wednesday was denied a protection order by the South Gauteng High Court against an alleged threat posed by the Democratic Alliance (DA) jobs march.
Judge Phineas Mojapelo did not grant the order‚ finding it unnecessary as the DA committed to not go directly to Luthuli House.
The ANC sought a protection order on Wednesday morning ahead of the march planned for later in the day‚ citing suspicions that the DA marchers were looking to threaten their security and safety.
ANC spokesman Keith Khoza said the party was happy with the outcome as they received a commitment from the DA that they would not come within 100m of the ANC’s headquarters.
“The judge found it not necessary to grant the order as both parties agreed what the conditions of the march are.
(The) DA must not come within 100m of the offices and the DA agreed to that commitment.
They will be confined to the Beyers Naude Square.
This is what we wanted and the judge agreed with that‚” Mr Khoza said.
‘Educate’ DA on ANC policy
The ANC said on Tuesday they would not only be waiting to “welcome” the 6‚000 DA supporters expected at the march‚ but it would also “educate” them on ANC policy.
ANC Gauteng secretary-general David Makhura said on Tuesday it considered the DA’s mass action an opportunity for a peaceful “war of policies”.
DA leader Helen Zille is due to lead supporters from the Westgate Transport Hub to Beyers Naude Square in what the party has called a march for real jobs.
An attempt to march two weeks ago was stopped by the Johannesburg metro police‚ prompting the DA to turn to the courts.
On Friday‚ soon after President Jacob Zuma announced May 7 as the election date for South Africa’s fifth democratic elections‚ Ms Zille made the DA’s campaign pledge to prioritise jobs‚ grow the economy by 8% and create 6-million sustainable jobs in a decade.
Hoping to woo voters
The DA will be hoping the march will woo an army of unemployed young people throughout the country with the promise of “real jobs”.
It says this is in contrast to the ANC’s election manifesto pledge that the Expanded Public Works Programme would accommodate 6-million work opportunities.
The DA describes these as “bogus temporary work placements”.
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe has defended the ANC’s manifesto‚ saying the DA should focus on compiling its own elections manifesto.
“Go out there and tell South Africans what we are committing to in the coming years.
For the DA‚ poverty is just a research project‚” Mr Mantashe told hundreds of ANC supporters in Johannesburg last week.
DA Gauteng leader John Moodey said on Tuesday that the party’s marchers would aim to woo the ANC’s supporters by “bringing the message of hope and good government”.
The DA is due to hand over a memorandum to Mr Mantashe.
“The more individuals we can get to support us and become actively involved in politics‚ particularly the Democratic Alliance‚ the better‚” Mr Moodey said.
Both the ANC and the DA have supported the introduction of the Employment Tax Incentives Act‚ which is intended to encourage the incorporation of young people into the working world‚ with the ANC mentioning the policy in its election manifesto and the DA referring to it in its economic inclusion policy document.
However‚ DA finance spokesman Tim Harris said the changes that the ANC’s manifesto has proposed to prevent the displacement of unsubsidised workers would increase uncertainty over the youth wage subsidy. © BDlive 2013