Kenyan accused of hotel room sex attack at Boardwalk

Kathryn Kimberley

A KENYAN businessman, arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a hotel employee while attending a Coca-Cola Sabco conference in Port Elizabeth, has been ordered not to leave the city pending the outcome of the case.

The 35-year-old married man, who cannot be named until he pleads to the charge, allegedly sexually assaulted a manager at the Boardwalk Hotel and Conference Centre where delegates from across the world had met last week.

He was arrested on Friday and remanded at the Humewood police station for the weekend.

He appeared briefly in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on Monday and was released on R5000 bail. He was ordered to remain in Port Elizabeth until the case was finalised.

Police spokeswoman Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg said the man was arrested after an employee at the Boardwalk hotel reported an alleged sexual assault to the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit.

The 32-year-old woman claimed the businessman sexually assaulted her on Thursday night, when she attended to a complaint in his room.

He allegedly touched her inappropriately and ripped her clothes when she refused to sleep with him.

The woman managed to escape and alerted hotel staff. The man was arrested early the next day.

Coca-Cola Sabco group human resources manager Cathy Albertyn said the company was aware of the alleged incident.

She said the man had been in Port Elizabeth since January 27 for a sales and marketing conference between January 28 and 31.

She referred all further questions to his lawyer, Ryno Scholtz.

Scholtz said the man denied the allegations.

Boardwalk general manager Brett Hoppe said the woman had reported the incident to security. Management was then informed and the police contacted.

“The employee has been receiving counselling and extensive support through this process,” he said.

“This is an isolated incident. We have extensive security protocols in place throughout the property to ensure the safety and protection of all staff and guests.”

The case was postponed to February 13 for further investigation.

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.