TREASURY has approved the R30 760 000 the municipality requested to repair urgent flood damage, mayor Sipho Tandani announced in a press meeting last week.
While initially Cacadu was going to receive the money for all the municipalities in the district and distribute accordingly, Treasury has now decided it will go directly to where it is needed for speedy implementation, he said.
According to infrastructure director Xolani Masiza, work will commence on January 3, after which they have three months to show the money has been spent on the intended projects.
Tandani said Ndlambe was the only municipality to get what it asked for in the district.
“This is dependent on the strength of our business plan,” he said.
“I must commend Masiza, the municipal manager and councillors for their enthusiasm and courage during this difficult time.”
He said Ndlambe’s business plan was being used as a model for the whole country.
Certain areas have been identified as immediate concerns.
“I know there will be irresponsible people asking about Medolino. It is part of the business plan,” said Tandani.
Bushman’s River, Saltvlei Road and New Rest were also included in the business plan. Masiza said they will not just do remedial work – it must be permanent. However people must not expect much, he said, implying the money does not go far.
After a resolution has come from the full council, the council’s recess committee will decide which projects to do first.
Masiza and municipal manager Rolly Dumezweni will be in charge of procurement. Tandani said they would not be using unqualified people but will be using their supplier database.
He said work had already started on rural roads towards Shaw Park and Martindale, as well on Atherstone Road.
Council is expecting a further R77-million to be approved for severe damage.