Nemato man accused of murder and rape

ROB KNOWLES

MORE than 50 people gathered outside the Port Alfred Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday to protest the brutal murder of a Nemato woman, plus the assault and rape of another.

Xolile Sekula, 36, is accused of murder, rape, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and contravening the terms of a restraining order. He first appeared in court on Wednesday November 28.

According to a police report Sekula was arrested on the afternoon of Monday November 26. Police attended the scene of the gruesome murder of 46-year-old Nontsikelelo Jauka in Runeli Drive, the home of Sekula’s former 23-year-old girlfriend who has further accused him of rape and assault.

It is alleged Sekula arrived at his estranged girlfriend’s home on the evening of Sunday November 25 and began to assault her.

When Jauka, a family member of the former girlfriend and also a cousin of former Port Alfred mayor Vukile Balura, attempted to intervene Sekula allegedly beat her in the upper body with an, as yet unidentified object. Police are awaiting results of a port-mortem examination to determine the time and cause of death.

Sekula then allegedly took his former girlfriend to his own home where he repeatedly raped her.

At his first court appearance Sekula appeared unconcerned with the charges made against him and had not then appointed an attorney.

Magistrate Le Grange informed him of his right to counsel and advised that, considering the gravity of the charges, he should not attempt to defend himself. Sekula said his family would organise a defence attorney on his behalf.

Prosecutor Paul Rossouw advised the court he had been informed by officers investigating the case that members of the community had already threatened revenge should Sekula seek and be granted bail.

“We all have to live up to the things we do and face the consequences of our actions,” replied an unsympathetic La Grange.

A reliable source told TotT that Sekula’s former girlfriend had laid charges against him at the Nemato police station for contravening a restraining order on the Saturday before the alleged incident took place. Apparently, the police took no action at that time.

The case was postponed until January 8. Sekula has not applied for bail.

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.