HERE they are – the 12 villains who top the Hooligan of the Year ratings for dastardly deeds committed during the year: Scroll down to the end for details on how to enter
01. Oscar Pistorius, the champion disabled athlete charged with shooting Bay beauty Reeva Steenkamp.
02. Brent Cunningham, the bodybuilder who faces charges of beating up then girlfriend Shireen Ballan.
Given a shot at redemption after being acquitted of the 2010 murder of a school friend, 21-year-old Cunningham squandered his opportunity and was convicted of assaulting his father and possession of dagga. In December last year he once again landed in hot water and now stands trial for the brutal assault of his ex-girlfriend and her two friends.
03. Frederick Gordon, the Air Force serviceman who awaits sentencing on charges of severely assaulting his wife, Avril.
As if being convicted for one of the most horrific domestic violence incidents ever to be reported in Port Elizabeth was not enough, Gordon continued to waste the court’s time by chopping and changing legal representatives, and by making bizarre claims of a conspiracy between the media, police and Avril.
04. Stanford Slabbert, the metro councillor who was booted out of the DA for circulating a racist e-mail.
05. President Jacob Zuma: No 1 has played by one motto this year – when caught out, plead ignorance. But we can’t expect the poor man to keep track of everything.
When you’re running a country it is easy to miss a plane or two full of your BFFs landing at a national security key point. Not to mention the shock of waking up to an Olympic sized pool and astroturf soccer fields in your backyard.
06. Riah Phiyega, the police commissioner who says crime is under control in the country and who was in charge when her forces fired and killed protesting miners at Marikana.
07. Samantha Mitchell, who was jailed for 15 years for the brutal ritual killing of her lover, Grace Tommy.
08. NMB mayor Ben Fihla: lame duck? Just because he sits on forensic investigation reports for months and lets deputy mayor Chippa Ngcolomba speak for him at every turn does not mean Oom Ben is a lame duck. It just means he is applying his mind before setting up a task team to tell him what to do.
09. Mthunywa Ngonzo, the Eastern Cape education director-general who ignores court orders to do what he was hired to do: EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN!
10. ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe: shall we say it with him until it sounds like the truth, “There is no political crisis in Nelson Mandela Bay. There is no political crisis in Nelson Mandela Bay…”
11. Patrick Shelver, the former Greenwood Primary principal, who failed to pay back the money he stole from his school. But even after escaping a jail sentence in January, he backtracked on a court order to repay the money and has been declared a fugitive.
12. Mod Ndoyana: why some among us think they can just sign off on unapproved increases for their buddies really baffles the mind.
To vote SMS the number of the contender (01, 02, 03… to 12) to 40881 (R1,50 per SMS)
Term & Conditions
Competition lines will be open for voting from Friday, 20 December 2013 and will close Sunday, 29 December 2013 at midnight. The winner will be contacted telephonically on Monday, 30 December. The winner will be contacted on 3 attempts after his or her name is drawn as a winner. In the event that the winner is not contactable or rejects or declines the prize, the prize will be subject to a new draw. Times Media employees, sponsors and their immediate family are not eligible to enter. Prizes are not transferable for cash. SMSs charged at R1.50 each. Errors and omissions are billed. Free minutes do not apply. By entering the competition all entrants give their consent to receive various marketing and promotional material from the promoter. Entrants will be provided the opportunity to “Opt Out” of receiving such communication, which may be via the relevant medium that such marketing communication was received.