No one home as fire guts Bay house

Hendrick Mphande

A BADLY burnt impala head trophy was one of the few items one could still recognise after a fire gutted a home in Westering, Port Elizabeth, yesterday.

The blaze, at a house on the corner of Van Wyk and Oleander streets, started shortly after 9am.

Neighbour Graham Fisher was driving past when he noticed smoke coming through the roof.

“The windows were closed and it seemed there was nobody inside the house at the time.

“It did not look good,” Fisher said. He immediately contacted emergency services and was told that somebody else had already phoned them, and a fire engine had been dispatched. Fisher said he was impressed with the prompt response of the firemen.

 

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

Leave a Reply