ST ANDREW’S College in Grahamstown has celebrated the centenary of its chapel, which was designed by renowned architect Sir Herbert Baker.
In celebration of this historic structure, often referred to as “the heart of St Andrew’s”, a new altar frontal was commissioned from the Keiskamma Art Project in Hamburg.
The chapel, with its glowing commemorative windows, dark wood panels and plaques, is a rich and dignified memorial. Baker designed it in September 1913.
It has historical significance as no fewer than six weeks after its completion, the Great War broke out and led the chapel to become a sacred memorial because of the 125 Old Andreans who gave their lives during the conflict, as well as the 131 Old Andreans who died in World War 2.
The frontal, which was blessed this weekend, is a tribute to Dr Marguerite Poland, who, through her research and book The Abundant Herds, helped restore the dignity of Nguni cattle.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition