Water Road house gutted by inferno, owner hurt

Hendrick Mphande

A PENSIONER sustained burn injuries but was lucky to survive a fierce blaze that quickly enveloped and gutted his Walmer home in Port Elizabeth last night.

Rudolph Herselman was rushed to Livingstone Hospital after he sustained burns to his arms and head in a desperate bid to put out the flames that destroyed his Water Road property.

It took the Port Elizabeth fire department several hours to bring the blaze under control.

Herselman is well known to neighbours as a quiet man who is often seen in the area riding around on his scooter with his dog.

Speaking at the scene, DA councillor Stanford Slabbert, who lives three houses away, said the fire started shortly after 7pm. Herselman was alone at the time.

“He was busy lighting a fire in his fireplace when he left to answer a phone call. When he came back a few minutes later there was a huge fire in the lounge.

For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition

Leave a Reply