SEVERAL swimmers were laid low by infection, diarrhoea and vomiting yesterday as veteran international competitor Roland Schoeman condemned the Newton Park pool facilities as not being up to standard for a major event.
Schoeman was treated for an ear infection, but swam last night when the National Swimming Championships resumed.
Leading Port Elizabeth disabled swimmer Kevin Paul, who is asthmatic, said he had been affected by the conditions just walking into the venue on Wednesday because of the high chlorine levels.
“As soon as I arrived, I could smell the chlorine. As I am asthmatic, I knew there was no way I could swim,” the paralympian said yesterday.
The event, which started on Monday, descended into chaos when it was postponed for two days because of murky water.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition