MORE than 100 Uitenhage factory workers who stood up for colleagues being harassed at work by an alleged sex pest have been fired.
The former Johnson Controls workers, who took part in two protests last year in a bid to force the company to act against the man they claim sexually harassed several female workers, gathered in front of the Uitenhage motor industry components company yesterday hoping to get their jobs back.
But they were barred from entering the premises.
The company says the dismissals were legal and came only after the workers ignored a written warning and took part in a second protest. The desperate workers, who are now battling to put food on the table for their families, said they had been given letters on December 14 when the factory closed for the festive season informing them they had been dismissed.
The letters stated that they were being fired for taking part in illegal strike action.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition