PE biker shot dead in house robbery

Gareth Wilson

PORT Elizabeth biker Shaun Mould, affectionately termed a “gentle giant”, was shot dead during a house robbery at his Greenshields Park home in the early hours of yesterday.

Mould, 44, an electrician at East Coast Elevators, was found lying in a pool of blood on his bedroom floor by his 18-year-old nephew, Jacques, at about noon.

He had been shot in the chest.

Mould, a former member of the Brotherhood Motorcycle Club, had lived at the Saunton Street house for less than eight months.

Police on the scene said a neighbour – a woman alone at home with two children – heard a gunshot just before 4am and looked out her bedroom window.

She saw four men jumping over Mould’s back wall. They fled towards Buffelsfontein Road behind his house.

“She called her husband who told her to push the panic button or call the police, but she didn’t,” a detective said.

Mould’s devastated sister-in-law, Sharon, who lives across the road with his brother, Leon, 41, said yesterday Mould’s death was “life- shattering” and “soul-destroying”.

“The whole family is still in shock. I can’t believe this has happened to us.

“You hear about this type of stuff on the news but never think it will happen to you.

“Shaun was such a lovable guy, he would not hurt a fly. Everyone who met him loved him. He was just a gentle giant. Why did they have to kill him?”

Sharon said Jacques discovered the body when he went to visit his uncle. When he arrived, the front gate was open and the front door unlocked.

“He went inside and found everything turned upside down. It [the house] was completely ransacked. He immediately went to Shaun’s bedroom and found him there.”

In a panic, Jacques ran across the road to fetch his father.

“He [Leon] is totally shattered. When he saw him [Shaun] lying there, he tried to pick him up but rigor mortis had already set in.

“We alerted the police moments later,” Sharon said.

She said Leon had been sedated.

Forensic experts and detectives were still on the scene gathering evidence at 5pm yesterday.

Detectives confirmed that valuables, including four computers, had been stolen.

Mould’s father, Graham, was due to arrive in Port Elizabeth from Johannesburg late last night.

Police spokesman Warrant Officer Alwin Labans said police were investigating a case of murder and house robbery.

“We are not yet sure how the attackers gained entry into the house,” he said.

Leave a Reply