KwaNobuhle killings spark wave of fear

Yoliswa Sobuwa

ANGRY KwaNobuhle residents have blamed a recent surge in murders on the lack of street lights in their township, coupled with low police visibility.

This comes after a young woman was found murdered – half naked with her throat slit – in Jolobe Street on Saturday. It is the second murder in KwaNobuhle in as many weeks.

As residents recalled the macabre discovery yesterday they pottered about fixing fences, hoping this would deter culprits from dumping bodies in their backyards.

Vukile Matshaka, 44, found the woman’s body – naked from the waist down – in a pool of blood near the toilet outside his house on Saturday.

“There was blood all over. I just don’t know how she ended up in my backyard because I did not hear any screams,” he said.

“Ever since I saw her I could not eat or sleep. I told my son to fence my yard because I don’t know what will happen next time.”

Matshaka’s neighbour. Vumile Vusani, 46, said they had discovered a man stoned to death two weeks ago and his blood was still visible in the place where he was killed.

“We don’t have street lights and some people are using that to their advantage. Police should start monitoring this area as that might help decrease the level of crime here.”

Mhlawumbi Dlamini said petty crime was also a problem.

“We have experienced a lot of smash-and-grabs in this area. But it is difficult to go out at night when you hear people’s screams. We no longer feel safe in our own homes.”

Police spokeswoman Warrant Officer Gerda Swartz confirmed that police were investigating a murder after the body of a woman between the ages of 20 and 25 was found.

Anyone with information that could lead to an arrest should call Detective-Sergeant Juden Botha at 083-3959455.

Lieutenant Colonel Priscilla Naidu said police had noticed most of the crimes in KwaNobuhle occurred in the early hours of the morning when people returned from the taverns.

“We have increased police visibility during these hours to make sure people are safe on the way home.”

Spokesman Kupido Baron said the municipality would investigate.

Leave a Reply