A PROVISIONAL report into the alleged involvement of Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe’s partner, Gugu Mtshali, in a multimillion-rand Iran sanctions-busting deal is to remain under wraps.
The document, compiled by the public protector, is believed to have been completed late last week.
While the public protector’s office said yesterday a confidential copy had been given to Motlanthe and “all other relevant parties”, the deputy president’s spokesman, Thabo Masebe, denied they had received it.
“We know nothing of it. Even if we did we would not be making a public statement. If any comment is to be made on this matter it will be made by the deputy president to the public protector,” he said.
The report is into allegations that Mtshali and her close associates gave political support for a deal in return for a promised R104- million.
The allegations were revealed in an exposé by the Sunday Times.
Motlanthe requested the public protector to conduct an investigation into the allegations, following the newspaper article.
Kgalalelo Masibi, spokesman for the public protector, declined to comment on the provisional report or its contents.