Woman buried alive in shocking assault

Michael Kimberley and Zwanga Mukhuthu

A DISTRAUGHT Eastern Cape mother has described her terror at being buried alive after she was thrown into a ditch and then stabbed and stoned before being covered with soil, allegedly by her boyfriend.

Following what police described as a “shocking” attack at the weekend, Lulama Ngxangxela, 32, who was rescued by a relative, now lives in dread that her jealous boyfriend will return to finish her off.

He had accused her of cheating on him.

The suspect, who has been arrested, was stopped during the frenzied, near-fatal attack on Saturday by the victim’s brotherin-law after a neighbour saw the boyfriend dumping her in a ditch at Leaches Bay, East London, and covering her with soil.

The 42-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder and will appear in court today.

Mother-of-two Ngxangxela said yesterday: “I thought this was it.

“I was sure that he was going to kill me because nobody would come to rescue me.”

While she lay in the ditch, the man allegedly stabbed Ngxangxela with a screwdriver, threw rocks at her head and repeatedly called her a cheater.

According to Ngxangxela, the fight started on Friday evening after they had an argument.

He wanted them to be alone but she was looking after her children and “I could not leave them alone because of his pleasure”.

Ngxangxela, whose face is completely swollen on one side, said the man tried to attack her on Friday night but she locked herself in her shack.

The next morning , while walking back home after buying a loaf of bread, he confronted her again.

“He asked me where I had been, who I had slept with.

“I tried to answer, but he started punching me,” she said.

Ngxangxela ran to nearby shacks but everyone ignored her cries for help.

“He chased and caught me as I could not run anymore because of my TB [tuberculosis].

“He punched me and grabbed me by the hair and pulled me into the bushes,” she said.

As he dragged her through the bushes, he told her that no one would want her after he was finished with her.

“I was so scared. Everything was hurting. I did not know what to do. I shouted for help but everyone just ignored me.

“I could not even see where he was taking me because my eyes were blinded by all the blood.”

The boyfriend allegedly dragged her to a deep ditch, dumped her in it, stabbed her with the screwdriver and then started to bury her.

“He started putting soil on top of me. All I could think about was my two children. I thought I was going to die,” the severely traumatised woman said.

Yesterday, piles of bloodied rocks were still lying scattered in the bushes.

“I am scared. He is going to get out of jail and come finish me off.

“I don’t know what to do anymore. I never want to see him again,” Ngxangxela said.

When rescuer Mzimkhulu Ntsito arrived, he found Ngxangxela almost completely covered with soil. “I found him burying her while she was screaming.

“I softly pleaded with him that he had proved his point [that] he is stronger than her and he should just let her go,” Ntsito said.

The man stopped and left. Ntsito, who is friendly with the man, said: “It was the community who called the police after they saw what the guy did to the woman.”

Ngxangxela was taken to Frere Hospital after the police arrived and was released early yesterday morning.

East London police spokeswoman Warrant Officer Hazel Mqala said it was a shocking assault.

“She was beaten and then buried by her boyfriend. I have never seen anything like it before,” she said.

The man may not be named as he has not yet appeared in court.

Leave a Reply