THE Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has ordered an urgent investigation into the weekend attack at the Arlington dump, saying decisive action will be taken if the contracted security guards failed in their duties.
Municipal spokesperson Kupido Baron said yesterday (July 11) the municipality had a contract to provide armed guards for the protection of members of the public who used the dump.
“The municipality considers the incident in a very serious light. We are especially concerned that the security guards allegedly did nothing to assist a person in distress. The municipality’s safety and security directorate has started an urgent investigation into the incident. If we find that our contractors were not performing their duties, we will take serious steps against them,” Baron said.
The Arlington rubbish dump is one of two landfill sites in the city.
A Port Elizabeth man, Frank Kafesu, was attacked and stabbed 15 times while he was dropping off rubbish at the dump at the weekend. His co-workers reported that the security guards at the site saw the attack but did nothing to help.
Kafesu was robbed of his cellphone.
Two men, aged 18 and 20, were arrested at the dump and are due to appear in court, but a third is still at large.
Earlier this month, former Walmer resident William Mullins was stabbed eight times while off-loading rubbish at the municipality’s garden refuse transfer site in Walmer. His wife, Lasma, was stabbed in the back. Two men were also arrested in that incident.
Atlas Security also reported earlier in the year that an unidentified member of the public was hit over the head at the Walmer dumping site.
Baron said it was not necessarily the same security company providing services at all the sites.
Thobani Sima, of Fidelity Security Group, said claims that guards did not help Kafesu would be investigated.