THE murder and attempted murder case against former Big Brother celebrity Brad Wood and four others was postponed in the Benoni Magistrate’s Court.
“It was postponed for a final indictment to be served on the accused and a high court trial date to be set,” said National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga today (Feb, 28).
Bail for the accused was extended and the case would return to the Benoni court on April 19.
“We still believe that we will sustain the charges… we don’t think the charges the accused face will change,” he said.
Wood and his co-accused, Herbie Trouw, Willem Coetzer, Nicolas Pretorius and Micky Mazenen, were charged with murder following the killing of four alleged illegal miners at the embattled Aurora Empowerment Systems’s Grootvlei mine, near Springs, last year. Several other alleged illegal miners were wounded.
Wood was the company’s security head at the time.
The mine is owned by President Jacob Zuma’s nephew Khulubuse Zuma and former president Nelson Mandela’s grandson Zondwa Mandela. – Sapa