It is winter and that calls for hot chocolate. Winter also calls for portion control because this is the season known for making you eat “all the things”.
Hot chocolate dipping spoons are great for this, not only do you get the right portion every time, the spoons are also super cute and make for a great winter gift.
This is probably one of the easiest winter-themed crafts out there. Hot chocolate dipping spoons are basically just that, spoons you DIP into hot milk for a delicious mug of hot chocolate… here’s how to make your own.
- A slab of chocolate, the flavour is entirely your choice. As a diabetic I go for sugar free but any chocolate or confectionery works just as well.
- Cute spoons – I had some plastic table spoons left over from a party but you can use any spoon really.
- Melt chocolate – I’m lazy and do it in the microwave… Break the chocolate up into little pieces and melt it for a minute in a microwavable bowl. Stir and check consistency – you then put it back in for 30-second periods, stirring until you have melted chocolate.
(If you want to do it the “right way” put the chocolate in a glass bowl over boiling water and stir.)
- Dip your spoons in the chocolate, making sure to get a nice spoonful and cover the back as well.
- Set aside to set.
- Your hot chocolate dipping spoons are ready to be made into mugs of hot chocolate. Just boil some milk and stir with your spoon.
These actually make pretty cool treats on
their own – my son has always liked the dark chocolate ones and will have these as lollipops
Eleanor Douglas-Meyers is a crafty mom from Uitenhage who writes about DIY, parenting, natural hair care, fashion, food and fun on her blog JustEllaBella .